I read about Steve Jobs in the book authored by Walter Isaacson. I was very surprised as to his very different approach to entrepreneurship but also how horrible is emotional attitude was. He seemed to always be lashing out in a way that was almost childish, but I mean he was extremely successful at what he did so who am I to critique his ways. I admired his ability to see something that could be monumentally successful and stick to what he believes in order to make it successful, no matter how much pushback he gets from anyone around him. I least admired his emotional attitude for sure and the way he would treat people he did not like. He encountered plenty of adversity in his life, especially his initial products such as the Lisa. one competency I noticed that the entrepreneur exhibited was leadership. Although it was pretty far from a democratic style, it was one that was able to make Apple wildly successful. His style in DreamWorks seemed to be a lot more democratic which allowed that company to thrive as well. One part of the reading that confused me was how his reality distortion effect on people. I just am really curious as to how people could be that manipulated into really thinking they could do something that was pretty much impossible. However, it really did pay off in the end in terms of innovation. I would ask him first if he had regret with the way he handled his cancer and would he go back and undergo chemotherapy even though it went against all his personal values. I would also ask him how he feels about his relationship with his daughter and if it was something he wishes was a stronger connection. Steve Job’s opinion of hard work was that it was something that was expected and required and anything less was not even tolerated. He only wanted A players and anything less was seen as inferior in every way to him. I share the option that hard work is expected and should be a non-negotiable, however I would not totally disregard people that weren’t what he defined as A players, however I would not hire them either.
Hi Jaiden,
ReplyDeleteReading these books can really open our eyes up to things we didn't realize about some of the most successful entrepreneurs. Steve Jobs took his job very differently, but the end success of his company was his main goal. Through many adversities, Jobs was able to create the company we know today. It would be interesting to see where the company would be today if he had not lost his life to cancer.
Sarah