Monday, November 4, 2019

21A - Reading Reflection No. 2


The book I read from the list was called “The Art of Social Media: Power Tips for Power Users”. The general theme of the book was tips to improve your social media accounts as well as gaining a larger platform in which to speak to. For example, the author discusses how asymmetry in a profile picture can be more appealing than one that is dead on. Another tip was to what he called “cover the Earth” which basically meant that if you want to promote your blog, share it to Pinterest and tweet a couple times about it on Twitter and basically get it out there for people to see. It really was beneficial and connected with what I learned in ENT3003, especially on the idea of SEO and how you can attract more people to your blog or your website through clean titles and search terms and promoting with other social medias. If I had to design an exercise for this class based on what I read, it would be something along the lines of setting up a LinkedIn profile and creating a nice profile pic and promoting your LinkedIn on your other social medias. The biggest ‘aha’ moment while reading the book was that you’ll never get a following if the content you are producing is not of good quality. If you want to build a brand, you need to engage with integrity, be enchanting, and share content that people would actually like to watch. This, although was not something totally new, it seems to be something that people don’t understand.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jaiden,
    I already commented on Nathan´s blogpost and recommended the book "Inbound Marketing" as it seems to be very close to your book and the two might be a very good combination! Similar to your comment about the quality of the content, Halligan in "Inbound Marketing" stresses the importance of "remarkable" content probably 500 times. I think you make a very good point about how the engagement should look like.
    I find the study interesting as well and how small "natural" features attract more people. I think knowledge in this field can be very valuable. A friend of mine recommended hubspot.com to me where you can get some free courses in that instance (also mentioned in "Inbound Marketing" as I think the author is the creator of that website).
    Ollie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jaiden,
    It is interesting to see how big of an effect social media has on the world we live in today. Social media is how people find out about most events and businesses. The covering the Earth concept is very interesting and I am not sure I ever thought of running your platforms like this. This could be very beneficial, but also very time consuming.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jaiden,
    This book was popular it looks like most of the people in our group chose to read it. The author goes into depth about how to grow your social media account and how to market yourself to gain and retain followers. The author gives very specific tips on ways to increase your social media popularity, but I'm not convinced that all of them will work. Nonetheless, it is a great book to read if you are starting a business and need to build a social media following.

    ReplyDelete